Your carpet cleaner is used all through the year to get rid of tough stains and to perform routine cleaning jobs. But do you take the time to ensure that it is properly cleaned and working at its best? It is important that your carpet cleaning machine is cleaned on a regular basis to prevent the machines components from possibly becoming clogged and malfunctioning. To have a well functioning machine for a long time, keep it adequately maintained.
Here are instructions on how to properly maintain your carpet cleaner. Remember to unplug your machine from all power sources before starting the cleaning process.
- Clean the nozzle. Remove dirt and grime by detaching the nozzle, which can be done with most carpet cleaner models. Place the nozzle under the sink faucet and clean it with regular tap water. Take a clean cloth and apply pressure to remove any stuck on dirt that may remain in the nozzle area.
- Remove lint. While the nozzle is detached, remove lint that is stuck in the machine. This can usually be found in one section due to a filter trap or screen.
- Clean the brushes. The brushes should be cleaned as well. Pull out fibers, hair or any other debris that is caught in the brushes. Once the majority of debris has been removed, remove the brushes from the machine. Place them under the faucet and clean them with tap water. This step is especially important if you are using a carpet cleaner for pets as pet hair can get stuck.
- Clean the tank. Avoid storing a carpet cleaner without cleaning and rinsing it first. The best way to do this is to empty the tank to get rid of all cleaning solution. Fill it back up with fresh water so that the solution can be flushed out. This will help prevent clogging in various parts of your carpet cleaning machine.
- Use recommended cleaning products. Although many homeowners will be tempted to use bargain brand cleaners, it is best to only use cleaning products that are recommended by the manufacturer. Not only is this the best way to clean your carpet, but it is also the best way to efficiently use your carpet cleaning machine. In addition, some manufacturers will void the warranty if you use cleaning solution that is not endorsed by the manufacturer. It is best to determine which types of cleaners are designed to work with your carpet cleaner model.
- Clean the exterior. Prevent the buildup of dust and dirt on the exterior of your carpet cleaner. Take a clean damp cloth and wipe down the outside of the cleaner after each use.
- Dry the cleaner. Make sure that your carpet cleaner is completely dry before putting it into storage.